The Purpose of the CAP Center:
This site is dedicated to helping students find a career of their choice, and achieve academic success in their subjects.
This index page is an example of the types of links that can be found on The CAP Center site. If the Career and Academic Preparation Center has been helpful to you, please feel free to leave a comment or if you have any suggestions; use my contact form.
Support “Spirit of America”
Quote of the Day
You can't do it unless you can imagine it.
Finding the right career is a major decision in a person’s life. Find The Careers for You
Better Grades and Yourself
“Don't judge me by my past; I don't live there anymore. Judge me on my merits because my potential is in my future.” Unknown
I don’t know who said this but I find it refreshing to know that you can start over from scratch in spite of whatever past you had. The future is always fresh and new, and the following links are things to think about the new directions your life may take. Education is the right path to get there.
Memory Training (TED) “Our Lives are the sum of our Memories”
Get Help With Your Homework
8 tips for studying smarter. “The majority of students study by re-reading notes and textbooks — but the psychologists' research, both in lab experiments and of actual students in classes, shows this is a terrible way to learn material. Using active learning strategies — like flashcards, diagramming, and quizzing yourself — is much more effective, as is spacing out studying over time and mixing different topics together.”
Girls Inc. inspires all girls to be strong, smart, and bold, providing more than 140,000 girls across the U.S. and Canada with life-changing experiences and solutions to the unique challenges girls face
Sites To visit daily
Things to Do — The links that follow our events and happenings from the state of Virginia, local colleges, convention centers, area cities, as well as monthly weekly daily and what is happening on your birthday.
Best Sites include the following: The Khan Academy, e Media Va, Academic Earth, Curriki, SAS Curriculum Pathways, Kathy Schrock’s Guide to Everything, Math TV, Virginia Beach Library, cK-12, Forbes Free Learning Tests (beta),Learning for Life, Scholarship Labs, Immersion by Google, Memorize and SkillShare. (Cheap or Free)
(Follow the leader,And you will always be a top-notch learner!)
Free for Teachers
Sites for teachers contains such things as lesson plans, educational values, or student improvement.
Quick example: “Teachers Pay Teachers”
Sites for Parents contain such things as student protection and safety, parental advice, and guidance material .
Fun n Games
- KnockerBall "Knockerball™ was so much fun and something I never experienced before. I was able to run, jump and roll freely all around! I can't wait to play again and I'm buying them for all my friends and family!"- Katie P.
- Water Powered Hover board Meet the Flyboard, the latest invention from French jet ski champion Franky Zapata. It uses powerful streams of water like a fireman’s hose to let people ride above the waves or even dive underneath the water.
- WaterBird Imagine getting a great cardio work out and strength training as you glide across Lake Charles. I bet you could get in great shape quick. You would also be having a blast.
- The Quiz Center
These cool games include online quizzes for correctly answering a series of multiple-choice random questions of increasing difficulty.
There are thousands of high quality trivia questions
You can also add your questions. This will also boost your overall rank!
It is best way to increase your general knowledge with its original questions in different subjects.
You will see that our quiz questions will help you to boost your knowledge with fun!.
There are totally 6032 cool trivia questions for quiz games
Our Quizzes are totally FREE!!
Free Rice (English)
Free Rice (Spanish)
Free Rice (French)
Click on the right answer in the middle of this page.If you get it right, you get a harder question. If you get it wrong, you get an easier question.For each answer you get right, we donate 10 grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program.
This game is provided free of charge.This game is provided free of charge, but if you would like to make a donation it would be greatly appreciated. Just click on the Paypal button above. Even a small donation would go a long way. Thank you!
GeoGames was created by Reach the World and the National Geographic Society Education Foundation National Geographic is serving as the dissemination partner for Reach the World’s exciting interactive GeoGames.
Explosion of New Ideas
Blow Your Mind - So many new ideas! Who said everything has already been invented?
- Audi turns “Air” and “Water” into diesel fuel. " Sunfire claims that analysis shows the properties of the synthetic diesel are superior to fossil fuel, and that its lack of sulphur and fossil-based oil makes it more environmentally friendly. The overall energy efficiency of the fuel creation process using renewable power is around 70 percent, according to Audi.”
- Will Self Driving Cars Have A Death Algorithm?
- Cicret Brace;et Cicret brings the concept of wearable tech to a new level, projecting information from your phone directly onto your skin. Could this be the future of wearables - or just vapourware?
- See through Phones The Taiwanese division of a US technology company has developed a transparent mobile phone, said to have similar functions to a smartphone.
- YikeBike It is an electric bike that runs for 2 months on one charge. The price is $5000.00.
- 3D-Printed Violin Looks Like the Future of Music
- Foodini helps create savory or sweet cuisine. The food is real food, made from fresh ingredients prepared before printing. Promoting cooking with fresh ingredients, Foodini manages the difficult and time-consuming parts of food preparation that often discourage people from creating homemade food.
- What’s new in TV? LG 4MM thin, 4lb straight or curve tv.
- Unlimited Water Project Less than 1% of the water on Earth is fresh and in a liquid form. 97% of the rest is salted. To bring water to seven billion people living on our planet, we have to transform this available salted water in potable water to make sure that this vital resource is available for all.
Try These Interesting Sites:
Search Engine: Sweet Search
Comprehensive Internet Content: RefDesk
Learn Online: SAS Curriculum Pathways:
Free Learning: Memrise
City Data: Information
easel ly: 7000 Infographics (create your own)
Panorama: Create your own! (free)
Good N00ws: Create your own News (free)
For Kids: Great Websites for Kids
Money Skills: Financial Literacy for Everyone
Crime Statistics: Source Book
Your Google History: Your History
Longform Read the very best!
LiveWell Excellent site for diy and other practical information
Learn Excel Free - 300 examples
(Please understand that I’m not advocating the following courses. I am merely listing the courses that I found on the web that are free. It should be noted that if you want credit for any of these courses, you should first check with your next Institute of learning for acceptance of the credit. It also should be mentioned that many of the online courses are much more difficult than physically attending class.)
Alison a five million-strong, global online learning community, filled with free, high-quality resources to help you develop essential, certified workplace skills. Over 14% of our graduates stated in our ALISON Graduate Survey 2014 that learning with ALISON helped them get a new job, a promotion, or college placement, an opportunity for success open to you for free. So, browse our courses now, and get ready for a bright new future!
Free Online College Courses Get 1100 free online courses from the world’s leading universities — Stanford, Yale, MIT, Harvard, Berkeley, Oxford and more. You can download these audio & video courses (often from iTunes, YouTube, or university web sites) straight to your computer or mp3 player. Over 30,000 hours of free audio & video lectures, await you now.
Many more courses (Click Here)
Free Text books and much more:
Educational Tool Links
- Citation The fully is an automatic bibliography and citation maker. Save time by creating a cited page instantly in theMLA,APA,Chicago,or Harvard referencing styles! It’s easy, fast and it’s free!
- WritingFix Prompter Click the button until you discover a writing prompt that sparks an idea in your brain. Write freely for ten or fifteen minutes, not worrying about writing conventions (spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc.) or if the sentences are perfectly formed. Just put some good ideas down in your notebook that you can build upon and improve later. If you have time, I always suggest you go back and add a visual (like Mr. Stick) to help you remember what you wrote down. Site is WritingFix.com
- Floor Planner FREE Design Floor Plan ExhibitCore for weddings, your own home, events, and many more. (Plans $$$ pro month $14.95, 29.95, $120)
- Fix Picture (Beta- which means they are testing it out - Paid version to come later.) Picture Conversion It’s so simple, select your picture file, choose some process to apply, click on OK, and you’ll be able to save the picture on your computer. Support all popular picture file formats (JPEG, TIFF, PNG, GIF, BMP, TGA, ICO, ICNS, PDF ...) and camera RAW formats (CRW, NEF, RAF, CR2, DNG, ...). More than 400 formats supported.
- Google Ngram lets you search keywords in millions of books over the span of half a millennium, a useful tool for finding trends over time. For power users, the Ngram viewer also has advanced options, such as searching for particular keywords as specific parts of speech or combining keywords. Just in case you ever wanted to see how big cocaine was in Victorian times now you can.
- Adult Learning Center The School Board of the City of Virginia Beach, through the Adult Learning Center has consistently demonstrated a strong commitment to adult education. The adult and continuing education program was created during the mid 1960s’ and was called Adult and Vocational Education. Mr. James Darden was chosen as the first public school director of an Adult Education program in the state of Virginia. Mrs. Bonnie Mizenko followed as Director, and Mr. Paul Palombo is the current Director.
- Google Tools you did not know existed!
- Khan Academy: Video “ You Can Learn Anything “ Khan Academy (Online) Khan Academy Lite (Download) lessons and study at home. (KA Lite)
- Khan Academy - All in Spanish “ Spanish Kahn Academy “
- Google: This is a very handy extension for adding events to your Google Calendar Install: Google Calendar (by Google) This is an extension that runs in the “Chrome” browser. Easily check Google Calendar without leaving your browser, and add new events from websites you visit.
- Google: Experience a new language while you browse the web. Language Immersion for Chrome is an experimental extension that aims to simulate the experience of being immersed in a foreign language. By switching certain words and phrases from English into a language of your choice, the websites you already visit can provide a way to experience the world from a different perspective.
- What works the best when learning a new language?
More Tools Tools
Programs Worth Paying For
Pay for ”Theese are site that you pay for their program, but I think they are worth the money. Many are “try before you buy”, “try for a limited time, or use without the benefit of having the full program.
As A Final Thought, Here Is Something to Think About:
“From this distant vantage point, the Earth might not seem of particular interest. But for us, it's different. Consider again that dot. That's here, that's home, that's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every “ uperstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.
Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.
The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.
It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.” ― Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space
“A blade of grass is a commonplace on Earth; it would be a miracle on Mars. Our descendants on Mars will know the value of a patch of green. And if a blade of grass is priceless, what is the value of a human being?” ― Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space
“Or consider a story in the Jewish Talmud left out of the Book of Genesis. (It is in doubtful accord with the account of the apple, the Tree of Knowledge, the Fall, and the expulsion from Eden.) In The Garden, God tells Eve and Adam that He has intentionally left the Universe unfinished. It is the responsibility of humans, over countless generations, to participate with God in a "glorious" experiment - the "completing of the Creation." The burden of such a responsibility is heavy, especially on so weak and imperfect a species as ours, one with so unhappy a history. Nothing remotely like "completion" can be attempted without vastly more knowledge than we have today. But, perhaps, if our very existence is at stake, we will find ourselves able to rise to this supreme challenge.” ― Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space